“We can do this the easy way or the hard way.”
I feel like this must’ve been what the universe (or God) asked my fresh, new soul before it sent me spiraling down to earth.
And until recently, I would say my dumb ass soul must’ve answered ‘the hard way’.
I have often said that this is how I tend to learn things. The hard way. Not everything, but most things. Sometimes this is because while I can read about certain experiences and hear pre-emptive advice, I tend to not retain it unless I’ve gone through the same experience. I learn better through application.
Sometimes, however, learning ‘the hard way’ has been because I am STUBBORN AF and I have a rebel tendency. So even if I have a situation in which I can apply really great advice, I might not. My dumb, hopeful, rebellious heart will try to hold out for a different conclusion. It’s frustrating at times. But for me, once I learn something the hard way, I really do get it. On a soul and core level.
Here are a few truths I’ve learned the hard way.
1) It’s really important to take your car in if it makes some weird crunching noise when you turn … because if not, your tire might fly off.
2) Do NOT try to nudge a couch that is blocking your path with your vehicle … or it might dent your door and make it impossible to open it fully ever again.
3) If you have a messy, heartbreak of a situation with a guy, you shouldn’t continue to show up at his bar with your rabble-rousing friends.
4) DO NOT – I REPEAT – DO NOT DATE A BARTENDER AT YOUR FAVORITE BAR. No man is worth losing your favorite bar. NO. MAN. The bar is forever.
5) If a guy tells you he’s not ready for a relationship, listen to him and don’t try to change his mind.
Ahem. So … most of my ‘hard learned’ lessons clearly tend to deal with love and relationships.